It is so exciting to see spring unfolding once again and so early this year! As usual, we are excited to be out in the yard cleaning up and dreaming of things to come, preparing gardens, tidying out the garage (let me tell you: that’s a messy job this year!) and starting little seedlings. I am not nearly so much a gardening expert as I am an aficionado, a fan, a devotee to mucking in the dirt with hopes that something yummy might spring from it. Really I am still that kid that makes mud pies and dreams of them really being tasty treats.
In addition to these signs of spring you can also be sure to find me playing with stacks of boxes and leafing through countless books as this is also the beginning of “Conference Season”. Maple Tree will be at several conferences and sales over the next several months and I will also have the funky privilege of chatting with many of you as I teach several seminars at these gatherings and as I visit in our little corner of the exhibit hall.
Continue reading A New Season…
As many of you know, this Maple Tree is littered with many good reads and I am constantly shipping them out from our little space. I thought I would let you know of a few good books that I have here and would love to share with you…
First our Clearance books. These are all new books that are discounted because I have more than we need even at this busy time of year.
Charlotte Mason’s Original Homeschooling Series $50 (Regular $62!)
You Can Teach Your Child Successfully by Dr. Ruth Beechick $12 (Regular $14)
*Life of Fred: Beginning Algebra and Life of Fred: Beginning Algebra Companion $36 (Regular $48)
*Life of Fred: Advanced Algebra and Life of Fred: Advanced Algebra Companion $36 (Regular $48)
*These Life of Fred books are being replaced by a new volumes which combine the companion into the text. In other words, these four books are now coming out as two books which will be $42 each. As far as I can tell, the content is the same.*
I also have a hard cover, “scratch and dent” copy of You Can Teach Your Child Successfully available for $10. There is no visible wear and very minimal damage.
As well, not wanting to jump into the Christmas shopping rat race, but also wanting to respond to the requests of some of my customers, if you have items that you are thinking of purchasing for your family and friends for Christmas and think that Maple Tree could help you out with them, I do very much appreciate your support of our small business from one home schooler to another. I have in stock several items that you might have on your Christmas list including:
– The Jesus Storybook Bible ($19)
– The Jesus Storybook Bible with CDs ($28)
– Jonathan Park CDs. (I hope to have the newest volume, #9, in stock in the next week to 10 days!) ($25)
– What’s in the Bible with Buck Denver DVDs by Phil Visher ($15)
Also, I am able to order thousands of other titlesthough a distributor that I am working with that supplies both homeschooling resources and many of the books and other items that you would might find at a general Christian bookstore. Please let me know if you would like me to special order something in and I will see if I can help you with what you are looking for. I plan to make an order this Thursday so please send all special orders in by Thursday at 10am. Thanks!
Finally, as it is my goal to give gifts that are doubly beneficially this year, I also wanted to pursue items at Maple Tree that could be doubly beneficial. As such I have started to carry a few titles by talented Canadian independent authors. These books are a wholesome treat to have in your home and your purchase can also support independent Canadian authors and small businesses.
· May I introduce to you a beautiful children’s picture book by Janis Cox called Tadeo Turtle. Mrs. Cox is a very talented artist and has filled her book with amazing watercolour paintings. The book is a story and learning opportunity about painted turtles and other animals and has a sweet moral to it about how we are all special because we are different. There are many activities and learning extensions included in the book. It retails for $13 and for Christmas I am shipping it for free! (These books are so new to Maple Tree that I don’t have them on my website yet but you can preview them here: http://www.janiscox.com/information/)
· Carolyn j Morris is another independent Canadian author whose stories have been a treat in our home. She has published three novels entitled Mourning Dove, Barn Swallows and Pine Warbler. These novels are suitable reading for about a grade four level and up and can easily be enjoyed as a read aloud by younger children as well. In the first story, the main character, Billy, is dealing with the recent loss of his father. In this and all the stories the reader becomes acquainted with rural Canadian life as Billy spends a lot of time on his grandparents farm. You will laugh and cry at the tender moments in these stories but will also learn some of the ins and outs of life on a farm in Canada. A real treat. These books also retail for $13 each but I have an introductory special of $12 each or all three for $30 plus shipping. (You can read more about these books here: http://www.railfencebooks.com/books.php)
I hope that these few volumes will be of use to some of you. Please let me know if I can help you with any of these titles or with a special purchase.